Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Warning! Math disclosed and explained

 So today in my CS class we were introduced to a bunch of new mathematical symbols that I didn't even know existed. I'm in a class called Discrete Mathematics (shhh!). I can never remember the different names of the symbols, so I find myself making up names for half of the symbols. Here is a quick summary of the names of the symbols for your personal reference.




Most common names: 
Lambda
Other names:
Sitting giraffe
The Water slide

Most Common names:
Triple bar
Identical to
Other names:
The wedding cake
Rotating subway security door
Bunk bed for triplets


Most Common Names:
For any for all
Universal quantification
Other Names:
Glass half full
Pink Floyd's Prism upsidedown


Most Common Names:
Sigma
Summation Operator
Other Names:
The Auto Fuse
The Pod Racer

Try using the alternate names every time you run into it in your book and it should make learning math a little more fun. Example:

Read like this:
"One n just realized that he is being closely followed by a pod racer that is driven from anyone in the race who's name is between 1 and I (that's a lot of names...)."

Yeah I don't have any idea whats going on in my CS class because I apply this too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment