Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Idea

idea-noun-any conception existing in the mind as a result of mental understanding, awareness, or activity.

This is the definition of “idea” as provided by dictionary.com, the website that is singlehandedly driving the actual dictionary to complete extinction. It’s ok, eventually they’ll make a museum so our kids can learn about the way we used to look up words. Anyway, the reason I’m giving you the definition of idea is because, my friends, I just had an Idea.

No, not an idea, an Idea. An idea, as you can see from the definition, is a pretty generic and frequent mental occurrence due to our observation and analysis of the world around us. However, an Idea is a mind-blowing revelation that completely and utterly changes the way one sees and understands life. It can shift the very course of human history. Here are a few examples throughout history:

Fire
Tools
Pythagorean Theorem
Plato’s Allegory of the Cave
Jesus Christ
Chairlift
Electric can opener
Theory of Relativity
NUKES
The Beatles
Sliced bread
Onion rings
Sonicare toothbrush
Flatscreen TV
The Matrix
Barack Obama

Ok, I know I might’ve missed a few, and it might be argued that some of those “Ideas” are actual people or movies, but you get the Idea.

Now I stand before you with my own contribution to this distinguished list. At the time of writing this we have 7 followers, who we have fittingly named the “Loiterers”. As I was writing my first post to this blog, I used this term “Loiterers”, but for some reason, it didn’t feel right. Though it is technically the grammatically correct name for a person performing the act of loitering, I could do without all those -ers. It's not a very fun word to say. Now when Shakespeare wanted someone to say something in his plays, but the English language fell short, did he just shrug his shoulders and use awkward words? No! He made up his own words! Which words may you ask? How about “critic, frugal, aerial, fishify.”, to name a small few. Think about that. What verb would we use to say “to turn into a fish” if Shakespeare didn’t give us “fishify”? And we’d be calling aerials in the Winter Olympics “twisty-suicide jumps”! Well actually, I call them that anyway.

So then I asked myself, if Shakespeare can make up words, why can’t I? I brainstormed for hours until I had an epic moment of epiphany. Here is a recreation of that moment.

Observe that the awesomeness radiating from my cranium
is so intense it is bending the surrounding light

And in that epic moment, I created this epic word:

LOITRON

Oh my. That is amazing. Try to say that word without feeling epic. Yeah, that’s right, you can’t. It sounds like a Decepticon, and you know how awesome they are.
From now on, my posts will refer to our followers as Loitrons. My co-authors may or may not choose to use it as well. As the omnipotent overlord administrator, only Nick has the power to officially embrace the term, so I’ll leave that up to him. For all of you who don’t like my Idea, I have only this response.

GO LOITRONS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment